Sunday, April 24, 2011

Correction: Crashed 81st Fighter Squadron A-10C isn't 81-0962

By Joachim Jacob

In my blog post 81st Fighter Squadron A-10C crashes in Germany I mentioned that the involved "Hog" should be A-10C 81-0962. Sorry, but that's wrong. According to latest aircraft spotter info, this "Spang Hog" is still flying. For a photo proof, taken on April 11, 2011, at Spangdahlem AB, Germany, please check the Dutch Scramble Messageboard's topic A-10 Warthog Crash, Germany. This latest known picture of 81-0962 was posted just today.

And here's the picture! Just only minutes after a request to the photographer on Scramble, I've got the O.K. for posting his very important photo proof on my blog.



A-10C 81-0962 is still alive, caught at Spangdahlem AB, Germany, April 11, 2011. (Photo by Stefan Verjans)

Special thanks to Stefan for his kind photo support.

And now we have to wait which Spang "Hog" really crashed. I'm still watching any known movements, logged or photographed by very helpful aircraft spotters. Maybe USAF's investigation report will finally disclose the jet's serial number.

Update: According to an anonymous comment to this post, it was A-10C 81-0963. Hmmm...

2 comments:

  1. ...it was 81-963.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your helpful comment. Please contact me via e-mail (joachim.jacob@gmx.de) for further serial number verification. Be sure to remain anonymous, but please understand: There are so much speculations (especially on aircraft spotter sites) that I want a little bit of your source ID.

    BTW: For my blog, I already got some first-hand info from A-10 pilots, A-10 maintainers, or from their family members. Nearly all of them supported Warthog News by their real ID and are still remaining anonymous. Be sure: United States Military's OPSEC and COMSEC rules are well known to me.

    Joachim Jacob
    Warthog News Editor

    ReplyDelete