by Staff Sgt. Melissa K. Mekpongsatorn
23d Wing Public Affairs
In effort to return to the Flying Tiger history, Moody reinstates the emblem originally used in 1957. The patch that reads 23d Wing at the bottom will no longer be used. With the new emblem the Flying Tiger legacy continues at Moody. (contributed graphic) Hi-res
6/5/2012 - MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. -- The Department of the Army Institute of Heraldry recently approved the new rendition of the 23d Wing historical emblem.
In an effort to return to the Flying Tiger history and continue a proud legacy, the new patch reinstates the emblem originally used in 1957.
The bottom of the new patch now reads Flying Tigers instead of 23rd Wing. The purpose of this change is to signify the return to the Flying Tigers historical roots and to identify Moody as the home of the Flying Tigers.
The history of the Flying Tigers can be traced back to 1941 during World War II when Lt. Gen. Clarie L. Chennault was recalled to active duty and placed at the head of the China Air Task Force (CATF). The 23rd Fighter Group, a component of the CATF, was assigned three squadrons: the 74th, 75th and the 76th. The group inherited the mission of the disbanded American Volunteer Group, "Flying Tigers", and 29 of Chennault's crew became members of the 23rd Fighter group.
The group was deactivated after World War II and reactivated several times, flying different types of aircraft in different locations, before it was reactivated as the 23d Wing at Pope Air Force Base, N.C. on June 1, 1992. In April 1997, the wing became a fighter group flying only A-10C's.
In 2007, the 23d Fighter Group moved from Pope AFB to Moody AFB where the Flying Tiger legacy continues.
Since its move, the 74th and 75th Fighter squadrons deployed to Afghanistan in support of the Operation ENDURING FREEDOM logging more than 23,000 combined combat hours.
The Flying Tiger legacy lives on at Moody Air Force base, and with this new emblem, a chapter in American aviation heritage continues.
The former patch. Hi-res