Released very late by 442nd Fighter Wing Public Affairs:
Lt. Col. Mark Ernewein, Col. James Mackey, Col. John Hoff and Col. David Closen, A-10 Thunderbolt II pilots, prepare for Colonel Hoff's fini flight, Dec. 2, 2010. Colonel Hoff was the vice commander of the 442nd Fighter Wing. A fini flight is symbolic of a pilot's final flight with a particular squadron or aircraft. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Jason Huddleston) Hi-res
Note: Pictured is A-10C 80-0201. Crew inscriptions: PILOT: LT COL JOHN MARKS, CREW CHIEF: SSGT KEVIN BALANDRON, ASST CREW CHIEF: SRA AARON FROM
Latest official USAF online biography of Colonel John J. Hoff Jr.:
COLONEL JOHN J. HOFF JR.
Colonel John J. Hoff Jr. is the vice wing commander of the 442nd Fighter Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo. The wing is an Air Force Reserve A-10 Thunderbolt II unit. As vice wing commander, he is responsible for the manning, training and combat readiness for approximately 1,200 Air Force reservists at Whiteman AFB and at three geographically separated units at Offutt AFB, Neb., and Moody AFB, Ga.
Colonel Hoff received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps after graduating from the University of Missouri where he earned a Bachelor's of Science degree in agriculture. As a command pilot, he has logged more than 3,100 hours in the OV-10 Bronco, F-15E Strike Eagle and A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft. Col Hoff has more than 450 combat hours supporting Operations Desert Shield and Storm, Northern and Southern Watch, Deny Flight, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom. Before assuming his current position in February 2008, he was the commander of the 303rd Fighter Squadron and special assistant to the 442nd Operations Group commander.
1985 Bachelor's of Science Degree, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
1995 Squadron Officers School, by correspondence
2001 Air Command and Staff, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
1. November 1985 - May 1987, undergraduate pilot training, 47th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. May 1987 - February 1990, forward air controller, 21st Tactical Air Support Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
3. February 1990 - October 1990, F-15E pilot training, 405th Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. October 1990 - December 1991, F-15E pilot, 335th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour-Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. December 1991 - May 1993, chief of operations scheduling, 4th Operations Support Squadron, Seymour-Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. November 1993 - May 2002, A-10 instructor pilot, 303rd Fighter Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. May 2002 - March 2005, flight commander, 303rd Fighter Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. March 2005 - May 2007, commander, 303rd Fighter Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. May 2007-February 2008, special assistant to the commander, 442nd Operations Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
10. February 2008 - April 2010, commander, 442nd Operations Group, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. April 2010 - Present, vice commander, 442nd Fighter Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,100
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, OV-10, F-15E, A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant Oct. 30, 1985
First Lieutenant Oct. 30, 1987
Captain Oct. 30, 1989
Major Oct. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 19, 2004
Colonel Feb. 7, 2008
(Current as of June 2010)